where green living, parenthood, and interiors intersect

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Practical Makes Perfect

I don't know about you, but I chuckle every time I read those lists of "12 Things I Couldn't Live Without" penned by fancy interior designers worldwide, clearly holding far different priorities than I. If I were to make such a list, you can bet that a Berkin bag and a $50 scented candle would not top the list of life's necessities. Don't get me wrong, I covet brilliant design and appreciate a few of the finer things in life, but mostly I am a simple, practical girl. I'm not even sure I could come up with 12 things but here are at least a few of the most clever and practical necessities that seem pretty vital to my existence.


An all-natural soap and sponge in one! How practical is that?!? Lori's Soap & Sponge (Goat's Milk & Olive Oil soap with natural sea sponge attached, also available with a Loofah).


My Blackberry Bold from Verizon is definitely an everyday essential. All the features of an iphone, but I can actually type my long-winded emails on it!


I take lunch and fruit on-the-go pretty much every day, but bruised many a banana in my bag until I discovered the Tupperware Limited Edition Banana Keeper (it doesn't appear to be for sale anywhere right now, thankfully I grabbed one when I did!)


I adore all my son's artwork, but this piece that he painted onto recycled cardboard and newspaper in Kindergarten is the only one that made it into a frame and onto our wall. I smile ear-to-ear every time I look at it.





My everyday, can't-live-without, footwear basics consist of vintage boots in the winter (I never pay more than $30 a pair and vintage always equals green in my book), classic navy Toms or my hemp Rainbow flip-flops in the summer, and slip-on Vans for all seasons in between.


I aspire to eat as healthfully as possible, but getting 5 servings of fruits and veggies in every day is always a struggle. I turn to my Breville Juice Fountain Plus to easily meet those requirements pretty much every day. And having just watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead with my son last night, I think I see a 10 day juice-only fast in my near future. Anyone want to join me?!


Concentrated all-purposes cleaners have saved me piles of money and precious storage space, marks of anything truly practical and essential. For about $18, a bottle of Basic H2 Super Organic Cleaning Concentrate and the companion spray bottles clean pretty much everything in my house for at least 6 months, without a trace of toxins.



And finally, a good night's sleep is probably the most important every day essential. My restful nights wouldn't be complete without The Company Store's Organic Cotton Jersey Bedding and my Keetsa mattress.

No comments:

Post a Comment